Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Best Years

style="display:inline-block;width:728px;height:90px" data-ad-client="ca-pub-9662862379877224" data-ad-slot="9481797196">
Temporary Joys

My days start with morning breathed diaper changes for 2 babies, followed by the endless cycle of nursing sessions, the preparation of food that will be thrown on the floor by my toddler, and the cleaning up of said food. When my best friend Daniel Tiger holds everyone's attention long enough for me to sprint to the restroom, I come back with my toothbrush and practice oral hygiene in the kitchen so that I can confirm from my station that the baby's eyes will not be poked out by the time I spit and rinse. 

Big woop, right? Pretty much everyone I interact with on social media is living the same life. We lament together over things that have been peed on, and I laugh out loud visualizing their kids embarrassing them at the grocery store. Also- I LOVE seeing picture of my friends kids so yall need to keep on posting, ya heard? 

On day one of flying solo with two under two my husband told me to just survive until five. That quickly became my motto in those early weeks when the tempo picked up and I was feeling overwhelmed by everyone's simultaneous need to USE THE BATHROOM all at once. I just needed to keep everyone fed and in a somewhat fresh diaper until backup arrived at 5 PM. 

Then I realized that I was made to do more than just survive. My days should be filled with more than time killers until daddy could get home and relieve me. I wanted to be present with my babies and soak them up. 

Something else my husband said on his first day back at work after number 2: 

"Who knows Hayley? This could be this first day of the best years of your life." 

How did he know? Lately, I've been trying (imperfectly, of course) to be completely present with my babies. To not wish away challenging days but to lean into scripture and pray even harder for  my kids. (Especially the big one- Lord help us! ) I kiss them and linger a little longer in the rocking chair with them because I know these days are going fast and one day I'll have to take her to school and we all know what a mascara covered wreck I'm going to be.... right before I skip happily to morning coffee with friends. 

I think, as people, but as mamas especially with lots of little eyes watching, we have to be careful where we get our fuel. On our (rare) breaks, do we run to mindless phone scrolling or to the  word of God that gives life? Facebook culture is exhausting and honestly just makes me funky most of the time. 

I've been challenging myself and others to seek first His Kingdom. To put down our phones and play on the floor with our toddlers. To sniff our newborn's head and praise the Lord for such new life. I'm not a super Christian. I don't have long passages memorized and I don't attend 5 AM Bible studies. (Yall are crazy!) But I want to keep striving towards godliness in the season that I'm in right now full of bodily fluids, Minnie Mouse, and endless loads of laundry. I'm writing to remind myself: soak up these gifts and be thankful.